Rod and Wheel House
Rod and Wheel House is a perfect location for families, friends and sporting groups who seek to enjoy trout fishing, tramping, cycling or sightseeing on the South Island of New Zealand. The house is fully renovated and provides four cosy bedrooms. A unique place to stay on the South Island of New Zealand surrounded by beautiful scenery and close to the very best fishing Southland has to offer.
The house sleeps 6 adults and for bigger groups there is the additional accommodation for 5 adults at Oreti River House next door.
Colin and Lynda-Marie Walker
3 Folia Street
New Zealand 9742
21 025 024 03
Please mention nzfishing.com when you make an
enquiry or booking.
Rod and Wheel House is located a short 15 minute walk from the Oreti River. As well there are numerous other rivers, lakes and streams within a short distance.
Local fishing waters include the:
Rod and Wheel House is marked
on the upper
Oreti River map.
Features of Rod and Wheel House include
- Accommodation for 6 adults in four bedrooms (2 queen and 2 king single beds).
- Lockable garage for 1 car also holding a 5 slot bike rack plus a wide open parking area for boats or larger vehicles.
- One bathroom including bath, shower, basin, toilet, heated towel rail, heated floor.
- A second separate toilet.
- Fully renovated equipped modern kitchen with modern appliances including dishwasher, microwave, fridge, oven and stove.
- Dining with large wooden table seating 6
- Modern laundry facilities including washing machine and tumble dryer
- Quality linen and towels supplied.
- Combustion wood fire and heat pump.
- FreeView TV, DVD and iPod music system and extensive DVD collection.
- Complementary internet connection
- Large outside dining area with gas BBQ under a covered pergola.
- Bedroom 1 -Queen Bed
- Bedroom 2 - Queen bed
- Bedroom 3 - King single bed
- Bedroom 4 - Long single bed
- Main bathroom - bath, shower,
toilet heated floor and heated towel rail
- Seperate toliet and basin
- Washing machine, clothes dryer and laundry tub.
- For bookings longer than 7 days , fresh linen
and a light clean is provided each week
- Complimentary tea, coffee, hot chocolate,
soap and shampoo
- Breakfast can be pre-ordered to be placed
in the fridge and used on the first morning of your stay
- An experienced Chef can be booked to provide all or some of the meals
- The house is conveniently located close to
town services. The supermarket with bottle shop, bakery, restaurant,
and pub are only a short walk away
- Although close to town services the house
is hidden by hedges, making it private and secluded
|Local attractions and activities
- Trout Fishing within one hours drive of over 35 different rivers, streams and lake
- Cycling on the Around the Mountains Rail Trail that connects Lumsden to Five Rivers and Lumsden and Mossburn. The trail follows the Oreti River before branching off to wind through green valleys surrounded by towering mountains
- Tramping on the Rail Trail or on the first part of the Milford Track which is available as a day trip
- Golf on the local course at Lumsden or on one of the many international standard courses at Queenstown. Try new Oreti Sands Course at Invercargill to provide the ultimate test of skills in a traditional links setting
- Jet Boat Trips on the Dart River above Queenstown, on the wild Wairaurahiri River in South Fiordland or on Lake Manapouri. Each of these adventures shows a different aspect of the landscape of this beautiful part of New Zealand
- Sightseeing on day trips to Queenstown, Arrowtown (old gold mining town), Te Anau, Doubtful Sound, Invercargill and Bluff. Many "Lord of the Rings" film locations are in the Southland area
- Boat Fishing Trips for trout on Lake Manapouri and Mavora Lakes and for blue cod off Stewart Island
- Shopping and treasure hunting in Queenstown and in local second hand shops in Gore and Riversdale
- Steam Train Artifacts now on display in the new Lumsden Railway Precinct surrounding the historical Lumsden Railway Station
- Endangered Birds and Lizards such as a Tuatara and the Black Billed Gull
For other activities in the area see the Oreti River House
"Wow! In the last seven years that I have visited New Zealand, I've stayed in every type of accommodation from luxury self contained apartments to cheap and nasty caravan parks. Oreti River and Rod and Wheel Houses are by far the best places I have stayed. Both houses were very clean and comfortable, and being a chef, I was impressed at how well equipped the kitchen was. I will definately be back. Amazing, Amazing, Amazing!!"
"This was our third trip back to Lumsden and equal to the best to date. We did some excellent fly fishing in the local rivers over most of the week - it is true trout heaven, with the many creeks and rivers full of magnificent trout. My wife caught a 2 pound and then a 3 pound trout which added to the wonderful memories. We would highly recommend Rod and Wheel House as offering superb value for money. We definitely plan to return back to Rod and Wheel House in the not to distant future". R & H Phillips - Australia
See more reviews
as at 1 Oct 2015
See current rates and packages